What To Do After An Auto Accident
With millions of cars populating our roads and numerous pedestrians crossing busy intersections, car accidents frequent our streets. For those who have never been involved in a car accident, it can be a scary situation. Most people are not cure what to do after an auto accident. Some accidents may involve multiple vehicles and a variety of eye witness accounts. Thus, it may be difficult to distinguish who should be held liable for the accident.
To best resolve the situation, it is imperative to take the effective steps moments after a car accident occurs. Sometimes the chaos of the accident may leave drivers feeling confused. Do not let these emotions affect your decision making skills. Follow these important steps:
- Contact the police, or dial 911 if needed.
- Exit the vehicle once you know it is safe. Many people exit their vehicles too early and end up being injured by another motorist.
- Stay at the scene in a safe place.
- Exchange information with the other drivers. (name, contact information, and insurance information)
- Contact your agent at MJM Insurance® of Fenton
- Do not admit fault!
Law enforcement will make a report of everyone involved and what happened. Do not admit fault or guilt to the other drivers or police officers. You do not want to be held liable for damages that you did not cause. Additional information may be necessary to collect if there are major injuries and/or a fatality. However, do not get involved with the investigation; rather take notes for your own records. The police report and/or investigation should reflect the following information:
- Names, phone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of all potential witnesses and occupants, including the number of occupants in the other car(s).
- Location (intersection/address/exit number).
- Company name, policy number and phone number for other insurance companies.
- The color, make, and model of the other vehicles involved. Take pictures of your vehicle and the other vehicles involved. Damage (vehicles and/or property)
- Accident scene (road conditions/skid marks/debris in roadway/vehicle positions)
- Accident scene location identifiers (intersection/address/exit number)
- Identification (clear photos of insurance cards, license plates, etc.)
And finally, contact your MJM Insurance® of Fenton Agent after an auto accident, provide as many details as possible and file your claim.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur for numerous reasons. In many instances, a car accident takes place due to reckless driving. It is estimated that every half hour, someone in this country dies in a crash involving alcohol. It is absolutely crucial to practice safe driving and avoid these practices in order to protect your own safety and the safety of other drivers on the road. Many of driving practices can cause an accident because it is unsafe for other drivers. Reckless driving includes:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Driving drunk illustrates reckless conduct and a disregard for public safety.
- Speeding- either driving faster than the legal limit or driving faster than what is safe for current conditions.
- Improper lane changing. Weaving in out and of traffic and cutting other drivers off, failing to see signal when changing lanes.
- Improper passing. Using an emergency lane to pass another vehicle or passing another vehicle by using the shoulder.
If you have been injured in an automobile accident you can seek damages from the other driver is they were acting negligently. To act negligently is to act without reasonable care. Failing to practice reasonable care is considered unlawful and negligent. Personal injury lawyers will guide you through litigation to help you get reimbursed for damages.
Why Choose MJM Insurance® of Fenton?
We’re committed to outstanding customer service
We start by offering the best insurance products at a reasonable price. But it’s the MJM Insurance® of Fenton team that really set us apart from the competition. With combined experience of 60 years, our sales and support staff members can handle your transactions quickly and efficiently. We service each and every account using out team of insurance professionals and we’re always available to answer your questions.
We’re committed to professionalism
Our dedication to client service comes from a culture of professionalism and respect. All of our associates at MJM Insurance® of Fenton have strong credentials and all of our policies are presented to you in a consistent and professional manner.
We’re committed to solving problems quickly
MJM Insurance® of Fenton has unique industry relationships, allowing us to provide exclusive insurance solutions to our customers. Additionally, every staff member is trained to actively listen and provide helpful answers presented in a way in which our policy holders clearly understand.
We’re committed to earning and maintaining your trust
We believe trust is something earned by listening to our customers while providing helpful advice and support. Trust and consistent underwriting practices is what we expect from our carrier partners, and in return we owe the same level of service to you.